Monday, June 20, 2011

Beach Bag Checklist

There is nothing worse than all the work it takes to get on the beach with kids and then realizing you forgot something vitally important.  I put together this handy little checklist of everything I bring to make beach time less stressful and more fun and relaxing.


1.     SUNSCREEN-My son is a fair skinned, blue eyed, red head so it’s extra important.  I usually bring the regular rub on kind but I also pack the spray on kind for two purposes.  First, so I can spray on areas that are difficult to rub lotion onto such as the hairline where there’s hair but where he can still get sunburned.  Second, if he’s being difficult it’s easier to spray while he plays than make him stop and rub it on.

2.     A couple of plastic bags.  Plastic bags are great for putting wet bathing suits into so they don’t get everything else wet.  I also have one in case anything disgusting needs to be put away.  You’d be surprised how often that has happened as a mother.

3.     Wet wipes.  For if the ice cream man comes and for any million of other ways my son could get sticky.  Sand and stickiness do NOT mix well.

4.     A bunch of dollar bills.  Sometimes there’s a vending machine and sometimes the ice cream man comes.  I hate turning down the ice cream man.

5.     Hat.  A hat is good to protect heads from midday sun.  There is no possible way to protect a child’s head from the sun on the beach all day without a hat.  I know there are hats with SPF but my son’s baseball cap seems to work well.

6.       A long sleeved shirt or sweat shirt for if there’s a chill.

7.     A change of clothes.  To change after the beach so there’s no ride home with sand in our pants.

8.     A fresh towel.  I usually wrap this in the plastic bags mentioned above so they’re not sandy.  I only bring a fresh towel if I’m planning to shower at the beach.  There’s nothing worse than taking a shower and having to dry with a sandy towel you’ve had on the beach all day.

9.     A small first aid kit.  I know the lifeguard has one but I bring mine just to have band aids and stuff like that for small cuts.  If anything major happened I’d call for help.

10. Books.  My son brings his own bag of toys but I like him to have a book if he needs to chill out under our umbrella.  This works well if a child is tired, needs a break from the sun, or is not getting along with his friends.

11.   Deodorant.  I hate being smelly.

12. Comb and detangler.  My hair gets so tangled at the beach and this makes it easier to comb through so I don’t look like a total mess.

13.   Lip gloss.  No reason to be totally barefaced on the beach.

14.   Magazines.  For meJ

15. Dry snacks.  The rest of the food such as sandwiches, drinks, watermelon, etc. are kept in the cooler.

What are your must-haves for the beach?

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At June 20, 2011 at 8:11 AM , Anonymous tracers coupon affair said...

you are soo organized. love it
following u from the monday hop

 
At June 20, 2011 at 9:19 PM , Blogger Laura Lowe said...

a travel-size container of baby powder! It helps to get the sand off. Following from the Totally Tuesday hop. I'd love to have you visit and/or follow at either of my blogs: http://EverythingBeautifulInItsTime.com is my family blog, and I write articles for piano teachers and piano parents at http://LowePianoStudio.blogspot.com.

 
At June 20, 2011 at 10:01 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I would just love to have a beach!! LOL! But you did put together a very organized list!! Stopping by from the hop. Have a wonderful week! :)

 
At June 20, 2011 at 11:03 PM , Blogger Divvy Up Diva said...

This is a great list...thank you! I am stopping by from the Fun Tuesday Blog Hop! I am your newest follower! I cannot wait to read more. I hope you will stop by and follow me back :)
www.divvyupdiva.com

 
At June 20, 2011 at 11:10 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Just wanted to let you know I am your newest follower from the blog hop! I look forward to getting know you more through your blog! It would be great for a follow back :) have a great day!

Meg <><
http://agemmoment.blogspot.com/

 
At June 20, 2011 at 11:48 PM , Blogger Grandma Bonnie said...

New follower form the Fun Tuesday Blog Hop.
Hope you follow back.
http://grandmabonniescloset.blogspot.com/

 
At June 21, 2011 at 10:10 AM , Blogger Delaney said...

I always take my boogie board, umbrella & chair as well as a good book!
http://sweetteaserendipity.blogspot.com

 
At June 21, 2011 at 4:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found you through Busy Mom's Tips and I'm following you through GFC.

 
At June 21, 2011 at 6:48 PM , Anonymous Shannon@Confessions of a (Wannabe) Napaholic said...

I wish I had a beach close enough for this to be a concern! My son has never been but I know how much trouble it can be just to pack for a quick trip to the store! Following you through the bloghop.

 
At June 22, 2011 at 11:44 AM , Anonymous Our Family World said...

I Love the deodorant item!! Handy list

 
At June 23, 2011 at 8:37 PM , Blogger Sweaty said...

I always have to have my sunglasses, a floppy hat, iTouch, my Amazon Kindle, and a sarong wrap :)

A new follower from FB friday!

 
At July 30, 2011 at 7:59 AM , Anonymous Tote Cotton Bags said...

Wow!!! Looking this bag is really great. I like it so much. This is really impressive and hart tuching blog. Beautiful post! I love all the beach bag. The Kitty Handbag so adorable! Lovely weekend to you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home