Monday, May 23, 2011

Encouraging Positive Behavior

 One of the things that I try to teach my son is how our actions affect other people.  When we’re nice to someone it can make their whole day and then they’re nicer to others too.  The same happens when we’re mean to someone.  I tell him just a big, bright smile can put someone in a good mood.   This can often work as a ripple effect and affect the people that person meets and all they people they meet until your happiness is spread through many, many people.


One book that talks about happiness is “Have You Filled a Bucket Today?” by Carol McCloud.  This award winning book tells kids that everyone has an invisible bucket that is meant to be filled with happiness.  When that bucket is filled the person feels wonderful.  When the bucket is empty the person feels sad.  The book then goes on to show what a person can do to fill not only their own bucket but also the buckets of those around them. 
This book can be used for very young children but I also just read it to my eleven year old son who was inspired.  We decided we were going to keep our own buckets.  I bought some small tin buckets and some vase gems and put them on our counter.  Every time we do something nice for someone else or if someone does something nice for us we put a gem in our bucket.  If we do something mean or rude we have to take a gem out.  This way we can see how our actions affect others as well as ourselves.

Labels: , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At May 23, 2011 at 7:01 PM , Anonymous Stephen said...

Great idea! I'm going to try this with my girls.

 
At May 26, 2011 at 4:09 PM , Blogger Kimberly said...

New follower. Hope you can follow back. Thanks for the tips.

 
At May 28, 2011 at 3:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a really nice book

 
At May 29, 2011 at 9:48 AM , Blogger NCSue said...

Hi.
I’m a new follower from the hop, which is found on a page on my site that lists more than 250 hops, memes, and photo challenges… some for each day of the week. Check under the header for the link to that page. I’ve also just started a BlogFrog community that focuses on hops, carnivals, memes, and photo challenges. Go to http://theblogfrog.com/1504201 to visit & participate.
I hope you’ll visit me soon. I follow back!
NCSue

 
At May 29, 2011 at 10:17 AM , Blogger Heavenly Savings said...

Cute Blog! Happy Sunday! I would love for you to stop by and check out my blog as well! If you like it you can follow back! Thanks! Hope to blog with you again soon!

Http://heavenlysavings.blogspot.com

 
At May 29, 2011 at 10:29 AM , Anonymous Coupon Saving Sista said...

I'm a new follower, thanks for the hop


http://couponsavingsista.swtstylez.com/

 
At May 29, 2011 at 7:49 PM , Blogger TanyasTreasureTrove said...

Hi! Following you from Relax and Surf Sunday blog hop! Hope you visit me and return the follow!:0)

 
At May 29, 2011 at 8:20 PM , Blogger Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Thank you for posting about that book! I'm going to buy it tomorrow! Love the idea! I'm a new follower from Relax and Surf. Hope you'll drop by sometime.
www.acreativeprincess.blogspot.com

 
At May 29, 2011 at 9:36 PM , Blogger Marlee said...

Found your blog from the Sunday Blog Hop, and am glad I did! Am a happy new follower :).

www.marleeindebt.blogspot.com

 
At May 29, 2011 at 10:09 PM , Blogger Ann Jones said...

Following you on GFC and networked blogs from the hop, have a great memorial day! You can find me at
http://wvfrugal-wvsaver.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home