Monday, January 2, 2012

Yarn Letter

I love type. Everything about it. Can’t get enough of it. I collect all kinds of “Ds” and use them to decorate my study at home. I found a small-sized capital D at Michael’s Crafts a few weeks ago. Rather than just painting, I thought it’d be a neat idea to give the letter some texture by wrapping it with yarn.


Supplies:
Yarn (any color – I used “Vanna’s Choice” – Taupe, by Lion Brand)
Letter (wooden, painted or unpainted, any size)
E6000 glue
Q-Tips or toothpicks
Scissors


 


Instructions:
-          Begin by cutting several strips of about two yards of yarn; you’ll use this to wrap your selected letter. If you need more strips later on, no worries, you can just cut more.
-          If you’re using Q-Tips, cut the tips off of some (you’ll be using these with the glue)
-          E6000 glue is a pliable glue that I use for most of my crafts. It comes in small tubes (mine is rather large – to prevent it from spilling out I keep it upright in a mug or cup). Use a Q-Tip or toothpick to glue one end of a strip of yarn to the back of your letter, and start wrapping the yarn around.



-          Make sure that the end of the yarn can also be glued to the back. You’re going to get glue on your fingers – be prepared.

-          Repeat the wrapping around the letter for all the straight sections, and save the corners for last.

-          The corners are just a little trickier, and I found that it was easier to spread E6000 on the letter first and then wrap the yarn – guaranteeing that the yarn will hold its place. You don’t have to wrap the corners too tight – just make sure to cover your letter with the yarn.
-          Let the glue dry, and there you go! Simple as that. 


Labels:

2 Comments:

At January 31, 2012 at 12:36 PM , Blogger Denise said...

This is cute I was reading another "letter" craft last months to make the letters with glued together corrugated cardboard then do this idea for even more frugal craft!

 
At January 31, 2012 at 7:18 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

How cute, I crochet a lot, so sometimes I have left over yarn, this is really a neat ideal.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home